Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How to paint a dresser without sanding


I found this dresser on Craigslist for $40, which is higher than I like to pay but it's a little hard to find dressers so I take what I can get. 

BEFORE

For this piece I didn't do any sanding.  I took out all of the drawers and  primed the entire thing with white valspar spray paint primer. 

The primer doesn't take long to dry.  I then painted the top yellow and applied gray paint for the frame.  I painted the drawers yellow as well  (I gave everything 2 coats).  After letting everything dry (It's best if you wait 24 hrs), I used miniwax black stain and painted it onto the dresser.  You have to make sure to paint in sections or else the stain will soak in and get too dark.  After applying the stain, I wiped it off with a wet rag until it was the desired color.  You can wipe off as little or as much stain as you would like...just depends on your preference.  After everything dried (again 24hrs is best), I applied 2 coats of Polycrylic.  On lighter furniture like this, you want to make sure to use water based Polycrylic instead of Polyurethane because Polycrylic won't yellow over time. 


 
I really love these colors together! 

AFTER

1 comment:

  1. How many can of the spray paint did you need for the whole dresser to be primed?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...