Sunday, June 24, 2012

Cabinet Door Chalkboard Tutorial


There are a million cute chalkboard projects out there.  I've seen people use cabinet doors to make chalkboards, and I thought I'd show you how I do mine! 


 I found a couple of these cabinet doors at a garage sale for $2 each.


 I started by taping off the outside and painting the inside with chalkboard paint.  Make sure that your surface is clean before painting.  I like to use a roller when doing chalkboard paint so it doesn't look too
streaky.  I applied one coat, and let it dry for one hour.  After letting it dry, I painted again in the opposite direction, let it dry, and added one more coat. 

 After the chalkboard paint dried, I taped the inside of the door.  I then sanded the wood lightly and painted 2  coats of swim valpar paint.  After letting the paint dry, I distressed it by doing a little sanding with
a sanding block.  I topped it off with a coat of polyurethane.  I then measured at the bottom and made three holes with my drill.  I found some super cute red and white knobs from hobby lobby and screwed them into my holes.  And that's it! 


I was really happy with how it turned out.
Great for hanging coats, hats, or necklaces.  And you can even write a cute quote or message on top!

Oh, and If you're new to my blog, I would love it if you joined my site and became a follower!  Thanks a bunch!

I link to:
I heart naptime, C.R.A.F.T., Classy Clutter, Funky Junk Interiors, Fireflies and Jelly Beans

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...