Sunday, May 27, 2012

Mason Jar Soap Dispenser

I found hundreds of these jars at a flea market in Judsonia, and was so excited because these old blue ones seem impossible to find. I've read several tutotials on how to make them, and they all did them a little differently.  I want to show you step by step how I made mine. You will need a mason jar, hammer, nail, pliers, a tall soap pump, and gorilla glue epoxy.

The first thing you'll do is take the lid off and make a hole using a hammer and nail.  Many people use a drill, but I have found the nail to be much easier and less messy.  

Some of the old mason jars have glass underneath, so after hammering through with your nail, you will need to pick out the glass piece by piece.  Afterwards, I make sure to wash the lid out with soap and water just to make sure all of the small glass pieces are gone.

Next, I got some needle nosed pliers and slowly pulled them apart to open the hole in my lid.  I opened until my soap pump fit snugly into the hole. 


I then turned over my lid, with the pump in place, and applied Gorilla Glue Epoxy.  Some people use hot glue, some use regular gorilla glue, and some use bathroom calk.  I really like Gorilla Glue Epoxy the best because it has a very strong hold, and it's not extremely messy. 

After applying the glue, I let the lid sit upside down on the counter for at least 4-5 hours.


And that's it!  Fairly simple to make and very inexpensive. 

I link to:
Classy Clutter, Boogie Board Cottage, Apron Thrift Girl, Our Delightful Home,  Hey What's For Dinner Mom?, It's Overflowing, Savvy Southern Style, DIY by Design, Fireflies and Jellybeans, Restore Interiors, Coastal Charm, Tip Junkie, Tatertots and Jello, Embracing Change, I Heart Naptime, Homemaker on a Dime, Serendipity and Spice, The Shabby Nest, Sassy Sites, Nap Time Crafters, C.R.A.F.T., Remodel aholic, Craftionary, House of Hepworths, Be Different Act Normal, Debbiedoo's, At the Picket Fence

9 comments:

  1. These look great! I might have to try this one of these weekends :) Stopping in from the TJ Community!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought these were cute, but have been too cheap to buy one premade. Thanks for showing how I can make one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are awesome and it looks like they will hold a lot of soap so you won't be filling them up that often.! Love this, now to find some old jars. :-)

    Crystal
    makeiteasycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea - so sweet!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I'm totally in love love love with this project. I too find these at a bunch of places and I do use them for other things but never thought of turning them into a soap dispenser. I found you via a blog hop and am now a follwer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I colored some of my newer Mason jars blue last night and love them! I've been wanting to make a soap pump for awhile now and yours are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool project. I just pinned it via Fox Hollow's pinning party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great job! Love it. Hopping over from Sassy sites xo P.S. new GFC follower

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...